A PHP Error was encountered

Severity: Notice

Message: Only variable references should be returned by reference

Filename: core/Common.php

Line Number: 257

Us Education | Gurukul Overseas

As a young and energetic team we are ideally positioned to fulfil your dreams and reach the pinnacle of your career.


USA or US is commonly referred for United States of America. USA is formed following the Treaty of Paris in 1783 after years of colonization from European Countries. USA is the first country to fight and gain Independence from a European nation.


USA consists of 50 states and these are divided into 5 regions. A region is a group of states consisting common features. These features may be natural or artificial in nature. Some of the examples to define a region are Language, Government, Religion, Forests, Wildlife or Climate. The 5 different regions in the USA are -

  • Northeast
  • Southwest
  • West
  • Southeast
  • Midwest

Time Zones

USA has the most number of time zones in the world not counting the dependent territories. It has 9 different time zones.

  • Atlantic Time Zone (UTC -04:00)
  • Eastern Time Zone (UTC -05:00)
  • Central Time Zone (UTC -06:00)
  • Mountain Time Zone (UTC -07:00)
  • Pacific Time Zone (UTC -08:00)
  • Alaska Time Zone (UTC -09:00)
  • Hawaii – Aleutian Time Zone (UTC -10:00)
  • Samoa Time Zone (UTC -11:00)
  • Chamorro Time Zone (UTC +10:00)


USA has a total population of 319 million as of July, 2014 estimates. 79.96% of the population is White, 12.85% is Black, 4.43% is Asian, 0.97% is American Indian or Alaskan, 0.18% is Pacific Islander and 1.61% of people with two or more races as per July 2007 estimates.


There is no official national language in USA. But English has acquired official status in 31 out of 50 states, while Hawaiian is official in Hawaii. 79.2% of people speak English, 12.9% of people speak Spanish, 3.8% of people speak Indo-European languages, 3.3% of people speak Asian while 0.9% speak others languages as per 2011 estimates


USA is by far the largest and the most powerful nation on the earth. It has a per-capita income GDP of $49,800.  Some of the important numbers about the US economy as per 2014 estimates

  • GDP: $17.46 Trillion (Purchasing Power Parity)
  • GDP: $17.42 Trillion (Official Exchange Rate)
  • GDP Growth Rate: 2.42
  • GDP Per capita: $54,800
  • Gross National Savings: 17.3% of GDP


USA Produces about $143 billion worth of crops as per 2011 data and $153 billion of live stock per the same estimates. Some of the most important agricultural produce from USA is Wheat, Corn, Grains, Rice, Fruits, Vegetables, Cotton, Beef, Poultry, Dairy, Fish and Forest produce


USA has a highly diversified industry sector. USA is leading the world in the technology industry, many of the innovations, patents and trademarks come from USA. Some of the major industries in USA are Technology, Petroleum, Steel, Motor Vehicles, Aerospace, Telecommunications, Chemical, Electronics, Food Processing, Consumer Goods, Lumber and Mining.

Budget, Taxes, Revenue

Some important numbers about Budget, Taxes, Revenue, Debt

  • Revenue: $3.029 Trillion
  • Expenditure: $3.52 Trillion
  • Taxes: 17.4% of GDP
  • Budget Surplus: -2.8% of GDP
  • Public Debt: 71.2% of GDP

Reference: https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/us.html


As in India after the completion of Intermediate students can go for Bachelor’s or polytechnic, similarly students in US after completion of High School (equivalent to Indian Intermediate) have options to choose the higher education through either a Bachelors or Associates Degree.

Associate’s Degree

  • Who can do it: Students done with High School.
  • Number of Credits: typically 60 credits are required.
  • Duration: 2 Years.
  • Degree Awarded: Associates such as Associate of Arts or Associate of Science.
  • OPT Availability: 12 Months of OPT is available for students completing Associates.

Bachelor’s Degree

  • Who can do it: Students completing their High School or with Associates Degree (Eligible Credits earned through Associates Degree will also be transferred towards Bachelor’s Degree).
  • Number of Credits: typically 120-140 credits are required.
  • Duration: 4 Years (2-3 Yrs. for Associate’s Degree holders).
  • Degree Awarded: Bachelor’s such as Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science.
  • OPT Availability: 12-29 Months of OPT is available for depending upon the Bachelor’s Degree earned.

Master’s Degree

  • Who can do it: Students with a Bachelor’s degree.
  • Number of Credits: 30-70 depending upon the University and Course structure.
  • Duration: 1-3 Years.
  • Degree Awarded: Master’s such as Master of Arts or Master of Science.
  • OPT Availability: 12-29 Months of OPT is available for depending upon the Master’s Degree.

Doctoral Degree

  • Who can do it: Students holding an MS Degree or Even a Bachelor’s degree.
  • Duration: >4 Yrs. (Depends on lot of variables).
  • Degree Awarded: Doctorate.
  • OPT Availability: 12-29 Months of OPT is available for depending upon the Degree.


Work after study is allowed through a program called OPT – Optional Practical Training. International students are allowed to work for 12 months during OPT.

  • OPT must relate to your major course of study
  • You can apply for 12 months of OPT at each educational level, (i.e you may have 12 months of OPT at bachelor’s level and another 12 months of OPT at the master’s level)
  • Your DSO will provide you with a new form I-20 that shows the DSO recommendation for this type of employment
  • You must apply for work authorization by electronically filing a Form I-765, “application for Employment Authorization: with USCIS (United States Citizenship and Immigration Services) and paying a filing fee. USCIS will send you a Form I-766, “Employment Authorization Document,” (EAD) upon approving your Form I-765
  • Wait to start work until after you receive your EAD.
  • While school is in session, you may only work 20 hours per week

OPT can be further extended by another 17 months for students who fall under the following circumstances -

  • The degree for your current period of post-completion OPT is a bachelor’s, master’s or doctoral degree in a Science, Technology, Engineering or Mathematics program listed under the STEM approved list by USCIS
  • The employer from which you are seeking employment uses the E-Verify program
  • You must not previously received a 17 month extension of OPT.
  • Your DSO will provide you with a new Form I-20 that shows the DSO recommendation for this employment on page three
  • You must apply for work authorization by electronically filing a Form I-765 with USCIS and paying a filing fee. USCIS will send you and EAD upon approving your petition
  • You may continue to work on your expired EAD for OPT up to 180 days while your 17-moonth extension petition is pending if you meet these condition
    1. You are currently in a period of post-completion OPT
    2. You properly and in a timely manner filed your application for the 17 month extension with USCIS
    3. You must report changes in name, address, employer and loss of employment to your DSO within 10 days of any change


Among the 200 countries in the world, United States is the leader. Not only is United States the overall leader in terms of political, economic and militia, but is also the leader for Education.

As being the most powerful nation, many people dream to live here or even visit it once during the lifetime. People from all around the globe and from all walks of life have come here to study and pave the way for their success. With unlimited opportunities sky is the limit. While the reasons international students choose to study in the US vary from student to student, some of the main advantages of education in the USA are as follows:

Choices/Broad Spectrum: There are over 2000 Universities in America. These Universities are spread across the country, they may be in cities or rural areas, they maybe in costal or hilly or around the farm lands.

These different types of universities should be your reason to choose America. As there is a lot of Capital vested in education, it brings out Competition. This enables the student to compete with Global talent as people from all corners of the world come here to study.

This competition also brings out in Innovation. As the saying goes Necessity is the mother of Innovation, students tend to Innovate to stand out among the competition, in fact 76% of the patents are from Immigrants as per Mike Bloomberg. Innovation is derived from Variety and this allows Niche to grow. This provides a scope to have different kinds of institutions and allows the student to find the right fit for them.

Recognition/Reputation/Excellence: Of the top 100 Universities across the world by US News Rankings, more than half of them are comprised from America and 6 in top 10. Its degree is almost guaranteed to have worldwide recognition while Industries across the board from all sectors around the world place a high value for American Degrees by placing them above the peers.

American Universities are known to boast unparalleled reputation for excellence in several Health, Management and Science and Technology fields. In fact it is one of the prime reasons and its maintenance of the standards that sets apart the Degrees awarded by American Universities.

Brilliant Scope for Research/Research and Development: American Universities are at the core of producing more new and Innovative Technology by consuming Technology. This is achieved through Research and Development either it maybe in the Field of Medicine, Bio-Technology or Technology.

Many universities provide grants for Research and Development and almost all of the PhD programs offer stipend, while also covering the school fees. Many other programs that encourage R&D offer Scholarships and Assistant-ships. Many of these R&D programs are worked in collaboration, co-sponsored by famous companies that utilize the bright minds in a proper way to bring out the best.

Technology: Technology today is part of the life. American education system has understood it long before and introduced it as part of the education system, it plays a vital role by encouraging students to learn and use technology from their school days.

Universities such as MIT partners with major technological companies such as Google, Apple, and Microsoft for many of their future projects and students get to work on the new technologies and maybe develop it.

Academic Flexibility: One will soon understand that education in US is a lot different than in their native countries. American Education systems allows for flexibility. It is not a system where one needs to take a specified number of courses for a specified amount of time to graduate.

Students have the option to choose their specialization without having to take the courses that are not required. There is a limit on both the Maximum and Minimum number of courses a student can take, allowing the flexibility for the students to choose based on their level of confidence, research and financial situation. This flexibility allows the student to either complete the course in a year or spread it out for couple of years.

Financial Support: One of the major attractions is the availability of the financial aid for International Students. Most of the Universities in US offer some kind of scholarships, grants, loans, stipends. For many of the International students it might turn out to be a free education.

But remember it is a merit based system rather than provided for those who are in financial need. Universities also offer various on campus jobs, assistantships and grants for research that help in earning while doing their education. This helps a lot for many of the international students.

Job Opportunities: After the completion of the degree students are allowed to legally stay and work for a year, this can also be extended by another 17 months for STEM courses.

Students with Masters or higher also have a separate quota of 20,000 H1B visas. This visa is very highly sought after in the world. Every year for the quota of 85,000 visas, nearly 200,000 applications are received with in just a couple of days of the application start date of April 1st for the past 6 years.

Value Addition and Cultural Enhancement/Cultural Experience: Of every 100 International students 35 of them study in US (around 35% of total international students study in US). People say when you get to America you get to the World. As Students from over 150 different countries study in US and people from all the countries live and represent in US.

As an international student it gives insight and exposure to various cultures and helps to enhance their understanding about various parts of the world. Many universities have students from more than 30 countries on campus, this offers to finding cultural familiarity also provides the opportunity to assimilate into delightful new cultures and rituals.

Relocation: Many people consider moving to America for better opportunities. Education provides a way to relocate temporarily and give a boost to your career. There has been 50% increase in the number of students from 2000 to 2014. American education facilitates networking that helps in finding a job after the completion of the degree.

It also helps students in acclimatizing to the local culture and paves a way to a test drive the American experience without having to make a move permanently. Higher Education years the best years to try out new experiences, as well as the time to start building academic and professional reputation and attain recognition.

America Itself: Finally America itself, it is the land of opportunities. America is the richest and the most powerful nation in the world. Opportunities are unlimited for those who aspire, sky is the limit for those who want to achieve. Dreams come true for those who dare to dream and work towards realization.

Are you the one looking for any of these??????


The first and foremost process in applying to Universities in United States is to by finalizing the Universities you are interested in and meet the requirements set by the University.

As an international student applying to US Universities is a process that is simple but seem to be overwhelming because of the number of steps involved in the process. Following some of the steps listed below should help in making the process simpler:

  1. Start the application process as early as possible and try to narrow your search to a minimum of three to five schools.
  2. Contacting the international student adviser at each university for information is the best source of information. You ca contact them by introducing yourself, detail them about you are getting ready to apply, and ask them as many questions as possible that you have about their specific application process.
  3. Making yourself familiar about the process by going through the information multiple times as the application requirements for each university is different. Have all the original documents ready to be submitted as requested by the University in the application process.
  4. While deciding between different schools try to get more information by asking the international student adviser for a contact of a student from your same country already at the university so you can get their perspective about the University.
  5. Most importantly, always research your options, ask a lot of questions and make connections!

Below are some of the important steps and documents required while applying for any University within United States.

  1. Fill out the application
  2. Pay the application fees
  3. All educational documents including individual transcripts (10th, Inter, Degree)
  4. English Language Proficiency Scores (IELTS, TOEFL etc….)
  5. Aptitude Test Scores (GRE, GMAT….)
  6. Bank Statement
  7. Affidavit of Support
  8. Statement of Purpose
  9. 3 Letters of Recommendation
  10. Passport Copy
  11. 2 Passport size photos
  12. Resume
  13. Experience Letters
  14. Any other documents, certificates, letters that will add more credibility to the application

Submit the completed application form and all the above documents, including the payment details before the application deadline date to be considered for the admission.

Most universities takes around 2-4 weeks to process the application and to give their verdict. Once the application is processed and approved for admission students will then receive I-20, the letter of admission. This is the final step in the application process and the beginning of the Visa Interview process.

For more information



Most U.S. colleges require that undergraduate and graduate students submit standardized test scores as part of their application packages. These standardized tests provide a consistent way for a college to evaluate the student.

Tests for Undergraduate Programs – Most undergraduate colleges require the student to take one of the most common tests, the SAT or the ACT.

SAT – The SAT measures your ability rather than knowledge. The 3 ¾-hour test contains three sections: writing, critical reading, and math. Most of the questions are multiple-choice.Some colleges may also require you to take an SAT Subject Test. SAT Subject Tests measure your knowledge in specific subjects within five general categories: English, mathematics, history, science, and languages. SAT Subject Tests are primarily multiple-choice, and each lasts one hour. http://sat.collegeboard.org/home

ACT – The ACT measure what you have learned at school rather than measuring how you think. The ACT consists of four multiple-choice tests: English, reading, mathematics, and science.http://www.act.org/

Tests for Graduate Programs – Graduate school applications usually require standardized test scores. The tests depend on what type of graduate degree you’re applying.

Graduate Record Examinations (GRE) – Students planning to attend graduate school take either the General or Subject GRE tests. GRE General Test measures verbal, quantitative (mathematical), and analytical writing skills. The test runs approximately three hours.GRE Subject Tests measure your knowledge in specific subject areas. The tests usually take 3 ½ hours to complete.http://www.ets.org/gre

Law School Admission Test (LSAT) – Law School Admission Test (LSAT) is required by nearly all law schools approved by the American Bar Association. LSAT measures aptitude rather than knowledge, and is designed to indicate your readiness for success in law school.The LSAT consists ofa reading comprehension section,an analytical reasoning section,a logical reasoning section, and an unscored section, commonly known as the variable section, which is used to test new questions or new test forms. There will also be a 35-minute writing sample section at the end of the test. The LSAT takes about four hours to complete. http://www.lsac.org/jd/lsat/about-the-lsat/

Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) – Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) is primarily a multiple-choice exam that tests the knowledge of science as well as skills, such as problem solving and critical thinking, desirable for success in the medical profession. The test is made up of four sections: verbal reasoning, physical sciences, biological sciences, and writing. https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/mcat/

Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) – Graduate management programs such as a Master of Business Administration (MBA) program, will require the Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT). The test measuresverbal, mathematical, and analytical writing skills rather than knowledge. Testingtakes approximately four hours. http://www.mba.com/us/the-gmat-exam


Any university registered with SEVP can recruit students internationally to their universities. Only SEVP certified schools are allowed to issue I-20’s for international students.

Certification and Accreditation are two different things. It is not mandatory that any schools that is certified with SEVP is also accredited.

As an international student it is imperative to know about various accrediting agencies and the various accreditations of a university. Even though a University is certified but not accredited, students graduating from these universities will not be able to avail various incentives provided by the US government.

These include a student being able to count towards the Masters quota while applying for H1-B. In order to be eligible to be included under the Masters quota while applying for H1-B

  • Student has completed their Masters from a Public University
  • Student has completed their Masters from a Private, not-for profit university

All these universities has to be accredited. Any student graduating from a university that is for-profit will not be included in Masters Quota. Below are some of the recognized accrediting agencies and universities that have accreditation from agencies are counted towards the Masters quota.

  • Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics
  • Accreditation Commission for Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine
  • Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing, Inc. (Formerly: National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission)
  • Accreditation Commission for Midwifery Education
  • Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education
  • Accrediting Bureau of Health Education Schools
  • Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges
  • Accrediting Council for Continuing Education and Training
  • Accrediting Council for Independent Colleges and Schools
  • American Academy for Liberal Education
  • American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy, Commission on Accreditation for Marriage and Family Therapy Education
  • American Bar Association, Council of the Section of Legal Education and Admissions to the Bar
  • American Board of Funeral Service Education, Committee on Accreditation
  • American Dental Association, Commission on Dental Accreditation
  • American Occupational Therapy Association, Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education
  • American Optometric Association, Accreditation Council on Optometric Education
  • American Osteopathic Association, Commission on Osteopathic College Accreditation
  • American Physical Therapy Association, Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education
  • American Podiatric Medical Association, Council on Podiatric Medical Education
  • American Psychological Association, Commission on Accreditation
  • American Speech-Language-Hearing Association, Council on Academic Accreditation in Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology
  • American Veterinary Medical Association, Council on Education
  • Association for Biblical Higher Education, Commission on Accreditation
  • Association for Clinical Pastoral Education, Inc., Accreditation Commission
  • Association of Advanced Rabbinical and Talmudic Schools, Accreditation Commission
  • Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Management Education
  • Commission on Accrediting of the Association of Theological Schools
  • Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education
  • Commission on English Language Program Accreditation
  • Commission on Massage Therapy Accreditation
  • Council on Accreditation of Nurse Anesthesia Educational Programs
  • Council on Education for Public Health
  • Council on Naturopathic Medical Education
  • Council on Occupational Education
  • Distance Education and Training Council, Accrediting Commission
  • Joint Review Committee on Education in Radiologic Technology
  • Joint Review Committee on Educational Programs in Nuclear Medicine Technology
  • Liaison Committee on Medical Education
  • Maryland Board of Nursing
  • Middle States Commission on Higher Education
  • Middle States Commission on Secondary Schools
  • Midwifery Education Accreditation Council
  • Missouri State Board of Nursing
  • Montessori Accreditation Council for Teacher Education, Commission on Accreditation
  • National Accrediting Commission of Career Arts and Sciences
  • National Association of Nurse Practitioners in Women’s Health, Council on Accreditation
  • National Association of Schools of Art and Design, Commission on Accreditation
  • National Association of Schools of Dance, Commission on Accreditation
  • National Association of Schools of Music, Commission on Accreditation, Commission on Community/Junior College Accreditation
  • National Association of Schools of Theatre, Commission on Accreditation
  • National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education
  • New England Association of Schools and Colleges, Commission on Institutions of Higher Education
  • New England Association of Schools and Colleges, Commission on Technical and Career Institutions
  • New York State Board of Regents, and the Commissioner of Education
  • New York State Board of Regents, State Education Department, Office of the Professions (Nursing Education)
  • North Central Association Commission on Accreditation and School Improvement, Board of Trustees
  • North Central Association of Colleges and Schools, The Higher Learning Commission
  • Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities
  • Oklahoma Board of Career and Technology Education
  • Pennsylvania State Board of Vocational Education, Bureau of Career and Technical Education
  • Puerto Rico State Agency for the Approval of Public Postsecondary Vocational, Technical Institutions and Programs
  • Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, Commission on Colleges
  • Teacher Education Accreditation Council, Accreditation Committee
  • The Council on Chiropractic Education
  • Transnational Association of Christian Colleges and Schools, Accreditation Commission
  • Western Association of Schools and Colleges, Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges
  • Western Association of Schools and Colleges, Accrediting Commission for Schools
  • Western Association of Schools and Colleges, Senior College and University Commission


What is the Price tag for doing a Master’s degree in US?

Is tuition the only cost of going to college? Of course not, there are other expenses such as meals, books, housing, travel etc. that add up to the college’s total sticker price. This overall cost will vary from student to student, depending on the college enrolled and the city they live in.

Tuition Fee

Tuition is what the colleges charge for their instruction and is by far the biggest expense of US education. In general, tuition is charged by units (Credits) for an academic year that typically runs from fall through spring. There are two types of tuition: in-state and out-of-state. Out of state residents (International students) pay twice the tuition of residents, while others costs remain the same. The tuition cost also varies from major to major and have been rising. The Tuition fee for a 2 years MS course varies from college to college and is anywhere between $20,000 and $50,000. The elite universities such as MIT, the Harvard, the Stanford, the Wharton, Boston University etc. cost $60,000 and above.

Other Fee

Cost of accommodation

Accommodation cost depends upon the housing and the food plans chosen by the international student. Housing (Dorm or Apartment style) can be On-campus or Off-campus: On campus housing in general is more affordable than the off campus housing. Too offset the costs, students in general share their accommodation with two, three or four people depending on the apartment space.

Living Expenses

This depends on the lifestyle of the individual student. If you are sharing the apartment, preparing your own food, using public transportation and being thrift – a student can live decently with an expense of $500 to $800 per month. Owning a car will only lead to additional expenses on fuel and insurance.Public transportation is not available in most cities so you will have to own or share a car.

Health Insurance

Universities are very particular about the health insurance of the students and insist upon it, even if they are covered under another individual or group health insurance schemes. It is not a good thing to skip one’s health insurance because of the simple reason that a simple surgery in the foreign land can leave you in a big financial crunch.

Books and School Supplies

Total Cost of Education

MBA Masters
Tuition (average/year) $25000 – $55000 $20000 – $45000
Travel * $50 – $200 $50 – $200
Health Insurance $75 -$200 per month $75 -$200 per month
Lodging ** $250 – $750 per month on sharing basis $250 – $750 per month on sharing basis
Food $100 – $600 per month $100 – $600 per month
Miscellaneous(phone, internet, transportation, etc) $100 – $300 per month $100 – $300 per month
Laptop $800 $800
Books and Supplies $500 – $2000 $500 – $2000

USA Cost/Aid Facts

The cost of the study per year (Tuition and fees, does not include living expenses) in USA varies from $5000 to $50000 (might be much more too for MBA/Medical or other programs) per year. The cost of living depends on the location. In general cost of living for students from countries like India, Bangladesh, China, Taiwan may vary from $6000 to $14000 (per year).It is assumed that students will live in shared apartments, live out of campus and have less telephone bills and other expenses are at bay. Most of all expenses can be met while working on on-campus jobs. The hourly pay for on-campus job varies from $5 to $15 per (sometimes it may be $20) hour. Foreign students can work for 20 hrs per week and 40 hrs per week during summer. Students may be allowed to work out of campus (internship) after nine months(2 semesters) of their arrival at USA. Students receiving any type of aid like TA/RA/Fellowship or GA need not have to worry about costs. Students not receiving any kind of aid must be prepared for tuition fees and living cost for initial 2-3 months (also please note: getting on-campus job might take some time, earlier you come the better). Also note that in some universities there is huge shortage of P/T jobs. So students must either have Scholarships or adequate Funds. It’s better to contact current students via email for latest information. For many universities students can pay the fees of their last semester even after graduation.

Some Universities grant tuition waiver after first semester (if performance in 1st semester is good). It is also possible that some other department may offer scholarship (Like you might be doing MBA but you might find a software job in Medical college and they might offer you scholarships).

See where money goes!!

  • GRE + TOEFL~$350 (around)
  • Application Fees varies from $20 to $150
  • Tuition Fees will cost between $5000 to $50000
  • Basic Health Insurance may Cost up to 500$ (per semester)
  • Books may cost up to $1000 (actually may be much cheaper. you can get used books from Amazon!)
  • Traveling to USA may cost up to $1400
  • Cost of Living will vary from one city to other and can be anything between $500 to $1500 (Assuming Simple Life)
  • Traveling cost within US may be up to $500.
  • Basic cellphone bill might be ~$30 (smartphone will be more like $50)

When you are planning for your education and are close to securing admission, start thinking and planning about living in the USA.

Housing / apartments

Very few colleges provide housing. You would have to arrange for your own stay. This is generally done once you land in the US or you can start talking to potential roommates, e.g. you know who they are. You would to rent an apartment which could cost anywhere from $500 – $1000, depending upon your own, city and proximity to college. The closer you are to city or downtown, the expensive the apartment is. If you are willing to commute for 20-40 minutes every day, you would be able to find something cheaper.So students chose to stay a little far in nearby towns and commute.You also have to sign a lease (rental agreement) with the landlord.

Paying Guest

There is a paying guest option available in some cities. The good part is that it mostly it goes month by month so not bad to start with. If you like, you can stay longer or switch to apartment.

Driving in USA

You need a driving license to drive in USA. A lot of states allow you to drive up to 1 year on your international license. If you plan to drive or use rental car anytime, make sure you get your international license.Remember driving in US is left handed, opposite of UK.Most of the car companies allow you to rent a car on weekly or daily basis on your credit card and international license. You can buy a used car from $3000 – $15000, depending on what you chose


If you’re planning to study in the US, you will have to apply for a student visa after getting admitted to a U.S. college or university.United States issues three different types of Visas for international students: F-1 Visa, M-1 Visa or J-1 Visa. The F1 and J1 visa students have the possibility of being employed in the US during their stay, while the M1 Visa does not.

F-1 Visa (Academic Studies)

The F-1 visa is issued to students who enter the US to attend an accredited US University or college, High School, Private elementary school or a language training program. F-1 visas is for full-time students who can work on-campus for up to 20 hrs a week. The student can work for longer hours or off-campus, if they get work authorization (CPT / OPT) from USCIS.

F-2 visa is for dependents of F-1 visa holders (spouse and unmarried children under the age of 21). This includes same-sex married couples.F-3 visa is for ‘border commuters’ – Mexican and Canadian students who reside in their country of origin while attending part- or full-time school in the US.

M-1 Visa (Non-Academic or Vocational studies)

The M-1 Visa is issued to international students who are going to attend a non-academic or vocational study or training at an institution in the US. M-1 Visa students are admitted to the US only for a fixed time period. They cannot change their status to F-1 nor can they work on- or off-campus.

M-2 visa is for dependents of M-1 visa holders (as in F-2 visas) and M-3 visa is for ‘border commuters’ as in F-3 visas, but for vocational or non-academic studies.

J-1 Visa (Academic studies as an exchange visitor for Practical Training)

J-1 visa is issued for international exchange visitors participating in programs in the US that promote cultural exchange or for students who need to obtain practical training that is unavailable in their home country. J-1 visa holders are subject to two-year home country physical presence requirement, if their training is listed in the Exchange visitors skill set. J-2 visa is for dependents of J-1 visa holders (as for F-2 visas).


There are many types of programs that allow a student to work legally while studying. These programs allow international students to earn during their education and help them financially. Some of these programs not only help international students financially but also provide experience in their fields of study.

On-Campus Jobs: On campus jobs is one of the most common form of employment during student days. These might range from working in cafeteria to working in the computers lab. Working at the sports centers to driving the shuttles that help in providing means of transportation to international students

Teaching Assistant: Teaching assistant program allows international students to work with other students in a classroom, lab or quiz section setting

Research Assistant: Research Assistant programs allows international students to work on research projects that does not involve teaching

Staff Assistant: Staff Assistant programs allow international students to do other types of duties such as advising other students, providing leadership and helping with administration

CPT: CPT is also called as Curriculum Practical training, this allows student to get experience in the field of their study by being able to work up to 40 hours a week during their study. It has some rules listed below

  • CPT must relate to your major and the experience must be part of your program of study
  • When you enroll at the graduate level, your designated school official (DSO) may authorize CPT during your first semester only if your program requires this type of experience. Ask your DSO for more details
  • Your DSO will provide you a new form I-20, “Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status” shows that that DSO has approved you for this type of employment.
  • You can work on CPT either full time or part time
  • CPT requires a signed cooperative agreement or a letter from your employer
  • If you have 12 months or more of full time CPT, you are ineligible for OPT, but part-time CPT is fine and will not stop you from doing OPT

Other Services

Student Visa Counseling

Gurukul Overseas advisors will discuss important matters concerning the interview process when applying for a U.S. student visa.

Medical Health Insurance and Immunizations Counseling

International students are required to have adequate health insurance in the U.S. Universities typically offer students to purchase their designated health insurance plan. However, students may also receive a waiver if they have other insurance that is comparable to the universities’ minimum coverage. Gurukul Overseas advisors will discuss suitable options including immunizations and required health documents.

Housing Counseling

This service includes on-campus housing or off-campus housing guidance.

Pre-departure Orientation

This service will prepare our students for their trip and academic journey ahead. Topics will cover practical information such as cultural, educational, social, and personal matters to familiarize students with the U.S. academic life. Topics range from what to pack, shopping, banking, phone services, medical providers, culture shock, academic expectations, and more.

Student Support Services

Gurukul Overseas advisors assist students with their personal and academic needs. Our advising covers a wide range of topics such as career advising, internships and employment, transferring to another school, medical providers, tutoring support, and many more.