A PHP Error was encountered

Severity: Notice

Message: Only variable references should be returned by reference

Filename: core/Common.php

Line Number: 257

F1 Visa | Gurukul Overseas

F1 Visa

You will need the following documents for getting F-1 Visa..

Mandatory Documents:

  1. Current Passport and as well as Old Passports.
  2. One Photograph
  3. Confirmation page of Form DS-160 submitted online with CEAC barcode.
  4. Visa Fee (To be paid in advance, prior to taking the appointment).
  5. Original and a Copy of the Interview appointment letter
  6. Both pages of the bar-coded, SEVIS generated original Form I-20 (Certificate of Eligibility for Non-Immigrant F-1 Status) obtained from a US College/University and signed both you and the school official.
    Students, as well as their spouse and their children (Those applying for USA Visa) must be registered in the SEVIS. The school is responsible for entering your information for the Form I-20 into SEVIS upon your notification.
    Also requires a copy of the Form I-20. Make sure that you carry the original I-20 whenever you travel. It needs to be shown to the immigration officer at the port of entry to be admitted to USA. Nothing will be stamped on the Form I-20 when you get your Visa. However, when you enter USA, the immigration officer at port of entry will stamp your I-20 in the allocated space.
  7. Original proof of payment of SEVIS fee receipt I-901 and one copy.

Supporting Documents:

1. Photocopies of the first page, last page and remarks page of your current passport.
2. Evidence of Financial Resources:

Proof of liquid assets sufficient to pay the entire first year of education. Proof of readily available funds to cover the living expenses for the remaining year(s) of study. Any financial documentation provided should be in support of this. This applies to ALL student visa applicants.

To establish your financial resources, you should bring to the Consulate:

  • Original tax returns for the past 3 years (specifically Form 16).
  • Original bank records (bank statements or pass book or bank book) for the past 3 years, and/or fixed deposit statement of your parent or sponsor. (Although anyone may sponsor your education, the Consular Officer will be more convinced if your parent or close family member finances your studies).
  • Pay slips, employment letters.
  • Chartered accountant statements.
  • If you receive a scholarship, it is noted on the I-20 and favorably considered by the Officer.

The U.S. Consulate discourages applicants from bringing property deeds or certified copies of financial documents. Only bring financial documents that can support your (or your sponsor's claim) that your studies in the U.S.A will be fully funded.

There are no specific documents that prove a student is able to pay for his/her education. These are only suggested documents. A visa is not assured if you have any or all of these documents.

Proof of ability to afford school in the United States:

Part 7 on the I-20 shows the amount of funding you must have available to cover the first year's expenses. The total amount includes tuition, living expenses, expenses of dependents (if applicable), and other expenses (as applicable). You must prove that you have immediate funds available to cover this amount. If you are going to a two-year Master's program, then you must also show that funds are or will likely be available to cover the same amount for the second year. For example, if you are a prospective Master's student for a two-year program, and the total amount in Part 7 of the I-20 includes $5,000 for tuition, $5,000 for living expenses, and $500 for other expenses (books and supplies for instance), then you must prove that $10,500 is immediately available to you. Additionally, you must also show that another $10,500 is or will likely be available to cover the second year.

Notarized Form I-134 (Affidavit of Support) - if you are financially supported by an individual in the U.S.A, along with three years of that individual's bank statements and tax returns.

If you have taken a loan from a bank to cover your tuition, please bring official documents, which verify the loan approval, not just the application. As Indian banks ordinarily give educational loans of relatively modest amounts, the applicant must still demonstrate additional liquid assets.

Paying the tuition expenses in advance is a good way to show proof of funds, but it is NOT a requirement to pay in advance.

3. Education Documents:
  • Original degree certificates along with mark sheets. You may still apply if you have not yet received your degree certificate. However, make sure to include your mark sheets and provisional certificate if available.
  • Original Bachelor degree transcripts or high school diploma along with mark sheets from previous institutions attended.
  • Relevant test scores, e.g., TOEFL and SAT, GRE, GMAT or LSAT. If your university does not require that you take certain tests such as TOEFL or GRE, you should get a letter from the university stating the same. However, the Embassy strongly recommends that all student visa applicants provide standardized test scores.

US Public School:

According to the U.S. law, foreign students are not allowed to get F-1 visa to attend public elementary or middle school (kindergarten to 8th grade or a publicly funded adult education program. However, F-1 visa can be issued to attend a public high school (grades 9 to 12), up to a maximum of one year. In order to apply for F-1 visa on that basis, the school must indicate on the Form I-20 that the student has paid the unsubsidized cost of the education and the amount submitted by the student for that purpose.